Vegan Chocolate Traybake
Whether you’re following a plant-based diet, are baking for someone with an egg or dairy allergy, the hens have gone off the lay or you’ve simply run out of eggs, this chocolate traybake is a deliciously moist chocolate recipe that’s handy to have at the ready. Many thanks to AGA Demonstrator Naomi Hansell for sharing this recipe with us.
450ml non-dairy milk, (soya, oat, almond all work well)
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
300g caster sugar
225g vegan spread
450g self raising flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
50g cocoa powder
50g vegan chocolate
100g vegan margarine
200g icing sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 tbsp dairy free milk
A little vegan ‘liquid chocolate’ syrup for decorating (optional)
You will need a lined baking or traybake tin, approx 30cmx20cmx3cm. We used the medium depth AGA half sized enamelled baking tray, lined with a piece of pre-cut Bake-o-Glide. This recipe can also be baked in two 20cm round tins to make a round cake with ‘buttercream’ filling and topping.
We’ve used plant-based ingredients here for vegan baking. It’s so delicious and moist, you really wouldn’t know the difference! This traybake and icing can be easily made with dairy milk and butter, too, just substitute the same quantities.
1. Measure out the dairy free milk in a measuring jug, add the vinegar or lemon juice and stir. Set aside. It will curdle which is meant to happen.
2. Put all the other traybake ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the curdled milk mixture. Mix well until smooth, then pour into the lined tin and bake in the AGA baking oven, either hang the tin on the 4th set of runners or place on the grid shelf on the floor for 25 - 35 mins until bouncy but slightly firm. To bake in the roasting oven, hang the tin on the 4th set of runners or place on the grid shelf on the floor with the cold plain shelf inserted above on the 3rd set of runners, for 25 - 25 mins as above.
3. Cool completely in the tin - this is important.
4. To make the icing, put the vegan chocolate in a small ovenproof dish in the simmering oven for 5 - 10 mins to melt. Put the icing sugar, vegan spread, cocoa powder and a little non-dairy milk in a mixer or bowl, add the melted chocolate and mix well until smooth. Use a whisk once the icing is mixed to make it lighter and easier to spread.
5. Spread the icing over the baked cake and decorate with liquid chocolate if using.
Keeps in an airtight container for 2 days, freezes well for several weeks. Defrost at room temperature.