Chilli Con Carne
- 500g (1lb 2 oz) braising beef steak, cut into small cubes, about 1cm (½ inch) square
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin or cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml (4fl.oz) water or stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 25g (1 oz) dark plain chocolate
Fry the beef until brown, and then add the onion, pepper and garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes. Season. Combine the chilli powder and cumin with the vinegar, sugar, tomato purée and stock. Add this mixture to the meat with the can of tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
2, 3 and 4 oven AGA: Transfer the covered pan to the Simmering Oven for 2 hours.
Stir in the drained, rinsed red kidney beans and the chocolate, reheat and serve with steamed rice.