Gingered Braised Beef
- 3-4 tbsp rape seed oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6cm (2.5 inch) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 bunch spring onions sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) braising steal, cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 1tsp five-spice powder
- 2 star anise
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 500ml (18fl oz) beef stock
- AGA steamed rice or noodles
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large stainless steel AGA pan and fry the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli for 3 minutes until fragrant. Remove from the pan and reserve. Place the beef and seasoned flour in a plastic bag and toss together well.
Add more oil to the pan and brown the meat in batches. Add the five-spice powder and star anise to the panthen the reserved ginger mixture, cook for a minute then add the sugar and beef then stir together. Pour in the wine, soy sauce and beef stock. Bring to the boil, cover then simmer for 5 minutes.
2,3,4 and 5 oven AGA: Transfer to the Simmering Oven, placing the pan on the floor of the oven. (AGA Total Control and City60 owners use the floor grid) Cook for about 2.5-3 hours, or longer, until the meat is tender.
Check seasoning and serve with rice or noodles.
By Dawn Roads
AGA Food Editor