Ham and Pepper Piperade
- 5fl oz (150ml) olive oil (not extra virgin
- 6 slices Prosciutto ham
- 1 medium onion, fineley chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 fresh eggs
- 2fl oz (50ml) double cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil in a large pan on the simmering plate and sauté the ham for about two minutes. Remove and put on a plate. Sauté the onions for about five minutes. Add the tomatoes, peppers, and garlic and cook gently until almost all the juices have evaporated.
Beat together the eggs and the cream, add the salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables in the pan. Gently stir the eggs so they don't stiffen - they should be the texture of soft scrambled egg rather than that of an omelette. Garnish with the ham before serving.