Marcia's Pork and Butternut Squash Casserole
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 900g (2Ib) free range shoulder of pork, diced
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 300ml (&frac;12 pint) chicken stock
- 3 tbsp Bonne Maman Peach Conserve
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- AGA cast iron casserole
- Salt and Pepper mills
Mix the flour, salt and pepper and chilli flakes together and use to coat the pork. Place half the sunflower oil into the AGA cast iron casserole. Heat on the boiling plate then brown the meat in batches. Remove the meat from the pan, add the remaining oil and then fry the onion until softened. Add the garlic and continue cooking for a minute.
Return the pork to the casserole and add the carrots and the squash. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
2, 3 and 4 oven AGA: Transfer to the floor of the simmering oven for about 2 hours or until tender.
Remove from the oven, stir in the peach conserve and then adjust the seasoning. Stir in the coriander just before serving and accompany with steamed rice.
Rayburn cooking:After bringing to the boil place in a low oven, 120°C (250°F), fan oven 100°C, gas mark 1-2 for about 2 hours until tender.
Recipe by Marcia Poole, AGA Demonstrator.