Pressure Cooker Curried Chicken Casserole
- 3lb (1.5kg) chicken
- 1oz (25g) margarine
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Half a pint (280ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Quarter of a teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon toasted almonds
Melt the margarine in a 5 Litre or larger pressure cooker and then add the onions then sauté until softened. Add the garlic, curry powder, stock, chutney, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to the boil.
Remove the pocket of fat from the body cavity and sit the whole chicken, breast down, in the pan. Close the lid and bring the pressure to the 2nd red ring. Adjust the heat to maintain this pressure for 20 minutes.
Reduce the pressure by the quick release method, turn the chicken over and sprinkle it with garam masala. Return the pressure to the first red ring and maintain for 5 minutes. Release the pressure by the natural release method – please refer to the instruction manual.
Remove the chicken to a plate and cut it into joints. Coat them with the sauce and sprinkle with coriander and almonds. Serve with rice and the usual curry accompaniments.
Tip: The chicken may be jointed before cooking and the cooking time at the second red ring reduced to 12 minutes.