- 1.4kg (3Ibs) Seville oranges
- 2 lemons
- 2.2 litres (4 pints) water
- 2.7kg (6 Ibs) granulated sugar
Wash the fruit and cut into eighths. Remove the pips and place these in a square of muslin. Process some of the fruit with a little of the measured water for 10-15 seconds. Repeat until all the fruit is used. Place in an AGA Preserving Pan with the pips, wrapped in the muslin "bag" and the remainder of the water. Bring to the boil on the boiling plate, stirring occasionally. Cover the pan.
2, 3 and 4 oven AGA: Transfer the covered pan to the simmering oven fr 1 hour, until the peel has softened.
Meanwhile place the sugar into the basin and place in the warming oven (4 oven) or at the back of the AGA to warm with clean jars.
Remove the pan from the simmering oven and add the warmed sugar, place on the simmering plate to dissolve the sugar then move to the boiling plate and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
Let the marmalade settle for 10 minutes then decant into the clean, warm jars, seal and label when cold.
- Invest in an AGA splash shield to protect the boiling plate lid lining from splashes of marmalade
- Wipe up splashes of marmalade immediately as they happen - keep a damp cloth handy for this
Conventional cooking: Increase the amount of water by 500ml (18 floz) and use the hob to make the marmalade.